Ford Cortina - Ever seen a slow one?

• September 21, 2019, 07:38:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New site setup for everyone to have a play. Have a look around and let us know what you think.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2019, 07:38:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

5 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which Engine?  (Read 1975 times)

Clayton

• View Profile
Which Engine?
« on: May 01, 2014, 08:12:28 PM »

Hi all, I'm new to the forum, some great info on here, it's pretty quiet though so thought I'd start a topic on something I've been tossing around to see if it'll generate some conversation.

As I've mentioned in another post, I recently found a TD in a barn that I'm starting to restore.

I'm undecided on the engine, it's all currently a bog stock 200 and 3 speed manual.  I'm not interested in keeping it stock so that combo is going.

I'm partial to the log 250 2v but thinking of something a bit more modern.
Not interested in an 8 and it will be manual.
A few engine options I'm tossing around;
250 2v
Early alloy head xflow maybe turbo, maybe not
EL XR6
B series aspirated
B series turbo (I'm liking this one but from what I've read it can be a bit tight?)
2L EcoBoost, however I want a manual, not sure what options would be for this?

Also, interested in opinions and advice on chassis strengthening.

Go for it fellas!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 09:20:55 PM by Clayton »

COR10A

• Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Which Engine?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 09:16:55 PM »

I am  a man for the classic. Kept it orginal. Don't spoil a beautiful car. I have two TD's, the yellow one you can see in my name title and a white one. The white one is orginal and is worth twice the yellow one. Pictures in members albums.   

BigNorm

• Administrator
  • Has no life
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spyderbyte.com.au
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 12:28:49 AM »

all depends on how much work u want to do and what kind of gains you're hoping for. i take it u want it to have some punch so with that forget the log head. a mild xflow will go harder than a wild pre xflow anyway. xf 250 engine built for unleaded will go well and they're easy to get power from and easy to bolt in. e and b series 4.0L are heaps more work but do fit with a lot of mucking around but the returns are also much higher.

Tils

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 01:44:24 AM »

all depends on how much work u want to do and what kind of gains you're hoping for. i take it u want it to have some punch so with that forget the log head. a mild xflow will go harder than a wild pre xflow anyway. xf 250 engine built for unleaded will go well and they're easy to get power from and easy to bolt in. e and b series 4.0L are heaps more work but do fit with a lot of mucking around but the returns are also much higher.

If you plan using the 4L trans you're in for a nightmare if you don't have access to a welder and don't have decent fab skills. But the 4L EF onwards pumps out more power than a 302 in it's emissions friendly form... lol

BA on... The wiring gives me nightmares.

BigNorm

• Administrator
  • Has no life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 12:30:25 AM »

u can buy standalone wiring looms on ebay for the ba+. bit exxy but they'll save you 100's of hours of figuring shit out.

Clayton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 12:19:44 AM »

Thanks guys.  The fabrication doesn't bother me to much however at this stage the XF might be the go, would you suggest injection or carby?

As for stiffening the chassis, any ideas on that?

BigNorm

• Administrator
  • Has no life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 12:28:16 AM »

you can do more with carby with a 250. if u were gonna go to the trouble of running metal fuel lines and efi pumps etc then i'd suggest going that little bit further and going ohc 4.0L.

if you want to reinforce it so it doesnt break then the only 2 places which normally give u any grief are the chassis where it comes up the firewall to the engine bay from the base of the footwells. plate that.   and the upper trailing arms tear out of the body. other than that they're relatively secure until u make high end hp

winton

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 07:51:13 PM »

^^^Yep.
4.1 I would stick with a carby

Clayton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 08:13:31 PM »

Thanks fellas you've been a huge help.

I'm going to go with an XF 250.  I'd like to get between 250-300hp

Now, opinions on 5 speed and diff?

winton

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 12:20:23 AM »

I'm changing to a 5 speed in my te soon, just waiting on a reasonable priced xflow bellhousing to pop up. Don't get one of these early 5 speed
Apparently they are weak and brake easily. This is the later one

The shifters also further back on the 5 speed . The motor will have to come forward or you will have to cut a heap out the floor, think I read somewhere the shifter will also hit the hand brake. Heres a picture of how much someone cut out to fit the 5sp without moving anything.
. Some people also fit a mustang extension housing as also in the 2nd picture  but you still have to cut some out the floor . I'm going to use the mustang extension housing and move my engine forward. Thinking I won't have to cut the floor.

With the diff I'd go a 3.5. 3.5's were in the 4cylinder sedans just need to change the pinion yolk to a six one, lsd would be good too.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:45:24 AM by winton »

Karu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 12:36:21 PM »

I know, I am of a different mind set, but I always believe in modernizing older cars. Sure there are those I will not change, such as my immaculate Renault R12 wagon with only a few kilometres on the dial, but these are extremely rare now and when the Aussie car industry dies in 2017 people will have their Holden's and Ford's and I will have my Australian built Renault. So that stays original. But as the question is being asked about changing the engine the Cortina will not remain original so here is my 2 bobs worth. When I change an engine to a modern engine I want power, fuel economy, reliability and a great sound in a small block, and there is only one engine which is affordable and achieves all of the above and that is the 1989/1990 4 litre Lexus engine. Toyota spent more than one billion dollars designing this unbreakable over engineered engine with 6 bolt mains and everything forged. The only problem was they put to many restrictions on the exhaust to quieten it. When removing the mufflers they sound like V8 super cars. You can put turbo's or superchargers or both on these engines without dropping the compression ratio they are so strong. But, it must be 1989/1990 because after that they were not built so strong. Put a Supra 5 speed behind it, a 9 inch diff and if it fits you will have a car like no other.

BigNorm

• Administrator
  • Has no life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 10:28:54 PM »

I'm going to use the mustang extension housing and move my engine forward. Thinking I won't have to cut the floor.

even with the mustang housing u have to cut :(    its not  a big deal but its still gotta be done.

winton

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 11:30:09 AM »

Doh  :(:

Clayton

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 08:03:10 PM »

Would a short shifter make much of a difference?

The lexus engine is interesting... I'm assuming it's a v6?  Do you know what the engine code is?

BigNorm

• Administrator
  • Has no life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 08:29:18 PM »

make a difference to the floorpan cut? not at all. its where the shifter sits in the extension housing thats the problem. i made a Z shaped shifter for mine and it clears the handbrake by miles. i still had to chop the tunnel and modify the console but it still looks the goods. rumour has it the shifter sits further back on a 250 so to clear the handbrake i've redrilled the handbrake handle mounts 1/2" further back and the front one a little to the right. gives u all the room u need and unless u know what you're looking at you'd never pick it.

cutting the crossmember isnt that much of a deal. if you already got the seats and front carpet out it only takes a couple of hours to cut and box up the crossmember including welding, grinding, painting and sucking back a beer with hand on hip looking at the fine job u just done.
Pages: [1] 2

TinyPortal © 2005-2012