Ford Cortina - You'll never make plastic look as good as chrome

• February 21, 2020, 07:07:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New site setup for everyone to have a play. Have a look around and let us know what you think.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 21, 2020, 07:07:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

11 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: tyga's TD Cortina project  (Read 23673 times)

winton

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: tyga's TD Cortina project
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2015, 10:51:09 PM »

Some good progress there

tyga

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2015, 02:55:45 PM »

Haven't updated in while. I finished both sides of the scuttle panel. Glad to get that finished as it was bloody tedious work. 3 layers of metal to make sure the bloody air can flow into into the cab but also funnel the water out. Man I wish we could buy these prefab panels here in Australia.

The next major headache is fabricating the lower A pillars and getting in some new inner and outer sills. Not looking forward to that, but if the jobs to be done right, the jobs got to be done. Progress will be slow for a while, as it's bloody cold at the moment, moneys short, home projects are of the essence and pleasing the Mrs is fundamental to a happy Cortina restoration life.  :D

Oh and btw, it's been a friggin' year already tomorrow I started this project. WTF? The time goes by way too quickly.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 03:00:08 PM by tyga »

BigNorm

• Administrator
  • Has no life
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spyderbyte.com.au
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2015, 11:25:01 PM »

i wish i had your motivation

CortinaD

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fordcortina.com.au
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2015, 11:29:46 AM »

Great work tyga

tyga

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2015, 01:33:30 AM »

Sorry, no progress for quite a while. I had a long period of illness that stopped me from doing anything except go to work and rest. I recently did a DNA test and discovered that I have a double mutation on the mthfr gene which means basically that I cannot metabolize (metholate) folic acid. Which also means that I can't adsorb sufficient amounts of vitamin b12.  So I've embarked on a program of getting enough folate (which isn't the same as folic acid. Folic acid is a man made synthetic form of folate) and b12. I've over come the consequent chronic fatigue and have been working on building a decking for the last few weeks. Once the decking is finished I'll be building a new shed to house my equipment (because the garage is too full) and then I'll get back to the Corty.

Hopefully in the near future I'll be able to get some serious restoration done.

Life can be a real bastard sometimes.  :D

tyga

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 04:00:14 PM »

Decking is finished. Mrs is happy, as am I.  :D

I bought a 30 inch sheet metal bender and a Stanley 2.5hp Belt drive air compressor, as the air compressor I had was a direct drive and as good as blood useless for air tools. The Stanley works awesome. From Super cheap auto for $400 .

I need to get some argon welding gas as well, because I think the flux core welds really suck. Does anyone recommend a supplier of welding gas?

I decided that the shed can wait until I get some work done on the TD.

More progress to come.  :D

BTW, I'm not happy with some of the work I've already done, so will have to redo some of it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 04:05:27 PM by tyga »

BigNorm

• Administrator
  • Has no life
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spyderbyte.com.au
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2015, 02:21:41 PM »

i dont know how it works over there, but here you cant buy the full sized gas bottle for welding. you can only rent them which is a prick when it sits there not being used most of the time soaking up rent. anyways we have a glenfords tools over here who sell mini bottles of argon and shit like that for plumbers. there must be an agent or someone similar where you are. you have to use a mini-reg to suit but they're good for about 60 minutes of welding before you throw the bottle in the bin.  they're cheap enough so thought it might get you out of trouble.  you're right fluxcore welding is shit. its not even good enough making gates.

Bucster

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2015, 09:07:09 PM »

Hey guys. Ebay $220 delivered less than half size though but you own it and 70bux to refill from same place  that includes courier back to them.
I cracked the shits couple months back sent oxy acetylene argoshield back to Boc and going to buy a bottle from ebay in new year.

Drewdog

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2015, 07:40:19 PM »

Good to see the car getting some love, deck looks good too...
Using the disposable cans here but might look at the ebay cylinders, thanks for the heads up... Cracked it with boc too, handed back my bottle but the shop didn't send off the paper work for a couple of days then they sent me a invoice for $2.25! Got it all storted and sent them back an invoice for my time, still waiting for payment ;D: Cheers Drew...

Bucster

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2015, 11:18:45 PM »

Hey guys, tip for Boc when your handing back your bottles and pissed at all their charges leave a dollar or a few cents in your account. They have to send you a paper bill until you cancel or spend the credit. Costs them more than whats in the account
  :outtahere

tyga

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2015, 01:12:08 PM »

Is this the supplier you recommended on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Argon-New-Refillable-Cylinder-no-rent-/261784017943?hash=item3cf38b1c17

Looks pretty good. Is 600ltrs about enough for my project?

Bucster

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2015, 11:26:07 AM »

Yea thats the 1. Not sure how long it will last.
I would rather own it than rent it. If your a full on welder fabricator and plan on completing your project in 2 -3 months id say rent a big bottle.
But if your like most home builders plan on 2+yrs don't rent an expensive bottle its also handy just to have gas for other projects or stuff that breaks.

tyga

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2015, 11:54:36 PM »

OK thanks Bukster, I'll give that supplier a try.  ;)

In the mean time though, while I'm waiting for the welding gas, I decided to do some fabrication to get ready to weld in when I get the gas.

The petrol filler opening was rusted out so I cut it out and fabricated a replacement.

And also in the boot floor where the petrol filler pipe comes up.

It took a couple of hours to make it fit nicely.

I'm quite happy with the progress so far.  :D

BTW, all that gray is weld through primer and the paint will all be getting stripped eventually.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 11:58:40 PM by tyga »

tyga

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2016, 05:08:00 PM »

Not much has been happening to the Cortina lately. Had another bout of the dreaded fatigue, which lasted for a few months. The Mrs finally figured out that it was magnesium deficiency. Been taking magnesium supps for about a month and have been feeling heaps better, no more fatigue. I'm going to the Gold coast for a week in early May, and when i get back, I'll get some welding gas from Total tools, and then get back into working on the Cortina.

I'm really not happy with some of the work I've already done, so will probably redo it all. Yeah I know, it's a lot of work, but I can't stand things not being done properly.

I take a lot of inspiration from Peter Anderson. Peter is a modest guy, but he does exceptional restorations. An awesome knowledge base. He's located in the East of Melbourne. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-FVfPqpU3jUz6PANryzwYg

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 05:13:56 PM by tyga »

tyga

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2016, 06:17:37 PM »

Oh and btw, sometimes I get sick of looking at a rusted and neglected TD Cortina in my garage, but when I realize that I actually have a Cortina in my garage, rather than not having a Cortina in my garage, it brings a smile to my face.  :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

TinyPortal © 2005-2012