Ford Cortina - The best looking back cause thats all you going to see

• October 22, 2018, 08:53:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New site setup for everyone to have a play. Have a look around and let us know what you think.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2018, 08:53:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

5 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: diff & brakes  (Read 382 times)

foe

• Regular
    • View Profile
diff & brakes
« on: May 24, 2018, 05:48:32 PM »

Hi guys im back here annoying you blokes hopefully not to much. I ended up keeping my TF, its up on the rotisserie now and going good. Im in the process or cleaning, welding and fixing the undercarriage, can any of you guys give me any advice on a good plan for the diff and rear brakes ive got 5 stud hoppers for the front. Hopefully i can use the diff out of it, keeping in mind it was originally a 4 cyl then 250 for years so i dont know what the diff is. Im in the process of doing e very healthy 250 N/A. Im hoping i can build a pretty strong diff without spending a fortune, also can i keep drum on the rear or is disc mandatory, any info will be greatly appreciated i havnt seen a cortina in this town since my last TE in 1990 hence not much help around here thanks fella's
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 07:01:36 AM by foe »

winton

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: diff & brakes
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 03:40:56 PM »

What ratio are you going to use?

foe

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 07:21:34 AM »

Im not to sure mate i will be running a c4 and the car will be for cruising and i spose it will depend on the engine, which i am going to stay crossflow just a bit muddled as which direction im going to go, im not skimping but im realising i need to put up some decent dollars to build a good crossy from scratch, i got my eyes out for a complete motor if i can find one. I can get a rebuilt crossflow with a super charger on it for 4.5k but i dont know if thats going to be a reliable set up, and i do like a big cam rough idle sound which that wont have. Sorry to get off the track mate, but yeh the car need to be geared for cruising and a bit of stupped stuff.

winton

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 09:33:43 PM »

Did this a while ago. Still haven't put it in my car. Will be happening soon as I have just put the car back together

http://fordcortina.com.au/newforum/index.php?topic=1901.0

foe

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 06:41:41 AM »

Very helpful thanks Winton.

foe

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 05:56:10 PM »

An old speedway fella i just spoke to regarding diffs recons the standard 25 spline diff will cop what i want it for and thats just cruising and on the odd occasion dumping it with a stall and C4 250 with 510 or 528 cam bit or head work. He also said for what im doing dont change from 4 to 5 stud unless i have to i can upgrade them a bit. Whats your thoughts fellas and to be honest i dont want to skimp on things, im no million air either but if i need it, we need it as i tell the MRS lol

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 06:00:00 PM by foe »

winton

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 08:10:53 PM »

The 25 spline with a LSD would be fine, problem is most of the LSD to suit 25 spline have something like a 292 ratio or similar, and can only be used with that ratio because of the carries offset. There are plenty of 28 spline LSD out there and will except most of the ratios. I've read you can't fit the 25 cones in the 28 carries, but never talked to a diff builder so it may be possible. A spool with 25 spline will brake the axle. I've done it plenty of times.

I don't see the hype about going to 5 stud. If I was going to buy a off the shelf brake kit I would stick with 4 stud.

I'm going to fit Nissan brakes to mine

foe

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 07:20:47 AM »

Thanks again for your time mate, do i have to basicly go through the process that you posted to build a 28 spline LSD, with drum ends,  I assume they dont make anything like that to go straight in the car. The worst part theres not many diff blokes around here and what are want to rob you blind, one bloke i rung yesterday wanted nothing to do with a 28 spline he wanted to sell me a 9inch for over 4k.

BigNorm

• Administrator
  • Has no life
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spyderbyte.com.au
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 05:50:09 PM »

the diff is ok, its the axles that snap like twigs. you can go 5 stud relatively cheaply and it gives you all the benefits of better brakes but most importantly you get a better choice of wheels.

foe

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 06:03:30 AM »

Thanks big Norm. Mate could you shed a light on what would be a relatively easy set up, parts i can buy from wreckers or new to do this please mate, i am aware of hoppers if that has to be a option, also i did see a rim manufacturer by the name of ROTA they make knock of rims, they got some really nice 4 stud rims one set i liked were the ROTA KYUSHA its a good looking rim, just somthing to keep in mind if i had too stay 4 stud.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:08:39 PM by foe »

BigNorm

• Administrator
  • Has no life
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spyderbyte.com.au
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 11:01:16 AM »

not neccessarily the best but the cheapest way to get 5 stud on the back is to have it redrilled. hoppers kit is a good bit of gear. crs now do a kit using wilwood calipers. i did a "how-to" using the old crs kits and they were good but not great. i havent seen the wilwood kit in person so cant say what its like but it sounds the goods. otherwsie chase a bloke by the name of david webb. he makes his own kits for front and rear which again are supposed to be pretty good. i can put you in touch if you cant find him.

i wouldnt even consider retaining 4 stud unless you were building a concourse. the availability of falcon rims vs cortina rims is cheap and infinite. with the added bonus of better brakes.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012